Tattoos can look awesome on the skin as soon as the artist has finished his work. But the healing process is quite painful. So, tattoo aftercare is as important as choosing the tattoo artist, if not more. In this post, I am going to discuss the importance of using Vitamin E for tattoo aftercare.
First, you must make sure that you keep the quality of the colors of this body artwork intact over a long period of time. Vitamin E oil is one of the best tattoo care products. It is good not only for skin care but also for retaining color stability.
Why is vitamin E good for your tattoos?
Getting a tattoo on your skin is quite a difficult task. Your enthusiasm for tattooing is not hard to understand. But you need to make sure that the follow-up is taken care of properly.
A tattoo takes 6 weeks to heal altogether. Your skin needs to breathe as it heals after being tattooed. The inks must also maintain their color and uniformity without fading. Your skin should not dry out or leave scars. All skincare products that you use for your tattoos must take all these aspects into account.
Vitamin E is a good moisturizer. But there are many other cheaper variations. If any other skin treatment can heal the skin, why does one need to use this expensive vitamin E?
So why should you use Vitamin E for tattoo aftercare?
Well, one should do well to note that Vitamin E also improves blood circulation. This accelerates the healing of your tattoos. Besides, vitamin E is a good antioxidant. It neutralizes the free radicals that cause aging.
How is vitamin E used in tattoos?
The timing and amount of application are as important as the type of tattoo.
When to use it:
- 3 days after your first tattoo.
- Thereafter, every day for 5 to 6 weeks.
- You must use 3 to 4 times a day.
What should you apply to your tattoos?
Since Vitamin E is a thick oil, you need to dilute it with a thinner oil to get the best benefits.
1. vitamin E and olive oil
- First, you will have to mingle vitamin E oil and olive oil in the ratio 1:4 – 1:8.
- Then clean the tattooed skin with warm water and mild antiseptic liquids.
- Dry the area with a cotton ball or paper towel.
- After that, apply the mixture to the affected area 3 to 4 times a day.
You will have to do this for 4 to 8 weeks until the tattoos are completely healed. And you know that when you find that there are no complications or rashes or allergic reactions on the skin.
2. Vitamin E oil and coconut oil
You can only use coconut oil itself for its moisturizing effect. Vitamin E will have a positive effect on moisturizing the skin as well as blood circulation.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of vitamin E oil to 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Now, mix them well.
- After that, you should clean the tattooed area with an antiseptic liquid and warm water and then dry it.
- Next, apply the mixture of vitamin E and coconut oil.
- Do this 3 or 4 times a day until your tattoos have healed.
3. Vitamin E oil and vitamin C oil
The combination of vitamin E and vitamin C offers you sun protection. Besides, it provides all the benefits of vitamin E. It is sometimes quite difficult to avoid the sun. But you would do well to remember that sun exposure is harmful to tattoos until they have healed. Using the combination of vitamin E and vitamin C protects you from the sun.
- You can mix the same amount of vitamin 3 oil and vitamin C.
- After cleaning with warm water and mild soap or antiseptic liquid, apply it on the affected area. Then wipe it off.
- Do this 3 to 4 times daily for 6 weeks and you will see remarkable results.
Other natural tattoo aftercare products
Risks of putting vitamin E on the skin
Vitamin E is normally considered safe for both topical and oral use. As it is a topical application, we will limit our risk factors in the area of topical application to the skin. It may cause an allergic reaction to some people having sensitive skin.
Sometimes, it may or may not cause an allergic reaction when diluted with another oil. But in rare cases, if it continues to cause an allergic reaction, stop using it immediately.
It appears to be greasy on the skin, so either dilute it or apply it in the evening.
Tips and precautions you must take
After careful consideration and weeks of debate, you may have decided to get a tattoo on your skin. That’s a great idea—so many fashionable people are doing it! But you must take the following precautions to ensure that you get the most out of your tattoos as you wanted it.
Do’s and don’ts before getting a tattoo
- Have your tattoos done by a licensed and approved tattoo artist. Never try to do it yourself, unless you yourself are a tattoo artist.
- Make sure that your tattoo studio meets the required health and safety standards.
- You will have to use all new and unused products. This includes needles, tubes, containers, bowls, inks, and pigments. If they use any non-disposable products, you must ensure that they are sterilized.
- Only get the approved inks, dyes, and pigments that are completely safe for the skin.
- Keep your tattoo dressing intact for at least 24 hours to prevent bacterial infection.
- Always wash your skin with slightly warm water and mild antibacterial soap.
- Never rub on freshly tattooed skin.
- You must keep your tattoo skin well-moisturized during the healing process. This takes about 5 to 6 weeks.
- Avoid sun exposure in the early stages for about 4 weeks.
- You must not swim in public places for 4 to 6 weeks as you may get an infection.
- Do not do any hard training at the gym or at home for 4 to 6 weeks. You may do only lighter exercises during this time.
- You should not, under any circumstances, scratch your tattoo, even if it itches, peels, or forms a scab.
- It is better that you wear loose-fitting clothing. This is to avoid friction between clothing and skin.
So, hopefully, this post about the importance of vitamin E for tattoo aftercare has revealed all the benefits of Vitamin E oil. And why you should use it to keep yourself on the safe side. But, if you do not like your freshly inked tattoo, do not worry. You can always have it removed by a professional tattoo expert. Find the right experts to get rid of it and you are safe. After all, there is always a second chance of success, at least in this field!